Here are some cybersecurity questions to think about that will make your life easier when the seemingly unthinkable (yet highly probable) happens.
- How will the business run if there is a data breach? Who needs to be in the room to make decisions in the event of a breach & where is that room?
- Spend time with all your departments who use systems with data – you need to know what data is where. Knowing how those systems work & the potential risks to all aspects of your organization will need to be done before anything goes wrong.
- Do you need to set up a separate triage service that covers both internal & external queries specific to the breach – who is the point of contact in your organization for employees & the media, are they media trained? Who will speak to clients? Suppliers? Partners?
- Are there opportunities to create awareness or engagement by supporting employees with their queries & concerns around their personal data away from work?
- What is your plan for communicating with individual employees in the event of a cyber security crisis? We rarely consider our world without electronics — do you have a paper back-up system?